But SRGMP - by trying to ape a sorry Indian Idol finale - stumbled badly in very basic ways.
These aren't nitpicks: on a show that showcases singing, miming is unacceptable. And apart from Vishal Shekhar, Mussarat and Himesh Reshammiya - every performance was mimed. More importantly it was mimed badly.
This sucked a lot of energy out of the show - rendering the return of all 11 finalists to a mere side show. Not to mention it was embarrassing to watch the audience going wah-wah to the fake singing.
More energy left when the guru interactions were taken out of the equation because lets face it - they provided most of the entertainment on the show with their alpha male "my contestant is bigger than yours" posturing.
None of this stopped Himesh from asserting himself all over the show. Appearing in a cleavage to rival the Grand Canyon, at one point he summoned all the little kids in the arena to cock a snook at security, "break the rules" and rush on to the stage. What a role model Himanshu is turning out to be!
Now I noticed several muchhad types on the stage trying to pass themselves as little kids. This was a genuinely hilarious moment - several guards had to strong arm people off the stage. (Note to fans: take it from someone who's tried it before. When crashing a stage, pretend to be security - bellow orders to the nearest person and you'll make it all the way through)
Although Raja Hasan finally embraced his resemblance to Mithun by singing the greatest song in the history of Indian cinema - Gunmaster G-9 - it was Amanat's presence that I enjoyed the most. Isn't there anything this guy looks bad in? Carrying deliriously tacky outfits with panache, he made the right moves and said the right thing. His gifting of his watch to Ismail Darbar at the end was the show's most touching moment for me.
All told, was Aneek's win a surprise? It would have been if not for yesterday's pre-show in which the leads were announced by Head. But it really shouldn't matter because this contest isn't about who the best singer is anyway - not for me. Its about non-stop tacky entertainment.
After the show, Meena called to say that Himesh has 200-300 hits, a super-hit movie and now this come from behind win for his chela, which will make him insufferable going forward.
Yes, and I look forward to that!
Worth a look: Chicago Tribune story on SRGMP ahead of the finals
- Shekhar ki Deewani and Sanjay live blog the Finale telecast
- Priti is hugely disappointed by the last show
- Sidekick believes a huge live show for the finale was a mistake and mentions how Himesh held everyone fascinated with disgust
- Megan has the worst day of her month
- anu g is happy for Poonam
- Musing envisions the new Himesh
- Payal outlines the fracas during the winning announcement
- amanat_fan is disappointed that music took a back seat to tamasha
- Anon believes the show is stacked against minorities
- anu g offers a counter-argument, an interesting take on the winner from Anand Raj Anand and asks "how many of us actually voted?!"
- Sidekick's take on SMS voting
- Joules is miffed by the bath robe inspired designs in the finale
- Rupal wonders about Himesh's pichhla chela Vineet from 2005, hopes Himesh remains a one-hit-movie wonder and wants the KAALI DAAL KA KISSA investigated
- Saritha digs into Himesh's victory
- Sanjay waxes philosophical about victory and defeat
- Anon is traumatized by Himesh's man boobs
- Megan thinks they are weapons of mass trauma
- qwitiqqx was twice pissed off at the finale
- minnie rues the missed opportunities for Poonam
- girlie girl believes Amanat was the improved singer who showed the most improvement