And there isn't anything overtly wrong with that. After all, creativity can be over-rated.There is one pattern prevalent in saas-bahu serials. And that is what I like to call The Kick Ass Payback.Here is how it works.
First relentless dukh gets piled upon one unfortunate person. Almost always that person is a woman. Did that surprise you? Clearly you've never watched one of these before. But the short of it is that everyone gets down on her - even fate.
The bechari swallows her gum and bites her tongue. Its critical that the emotional atyachaars be allowed to pile up. At this point my Mum will usually comment "Slap your mother-in-law already!" and Dad runs off during a commercial break to make some strong chai to fortify the nerves.
But before the scales of justice completely keel over, saas-bahu serials issue a correction. And its a very special episode at this point, often I've heard friends discussing it for days in anticipation. Some truth is revealed that liberates the bechari. Or someone stands up for her. Big time. (Substitute "truth" for "super power" and you pretty much have Spider-man, so we are spanning global territory here)
As in this video that Megan pointed me to - its her new guilty pleasure. I don't know who these people are. But the sonic shimmies, dizzying angles and deft acting (nostrils are flared, heads are cocked, an actor appears to have on-set constipation) are good enough entertainment for me.
- The main character's nosiness for the sake of the parivaar drives Joules up the wall
- The Mohabatein tune and Udit's vocals threw maxdavinci off
- meena has a bunch of ideas for Indian TV - if they dare!
- Tania believes she's seen this scene in every soap
- Pitu's favorite is the hateful mole
- What about this Punarjanam ka fashion? says AkD
- Pitu describes the saas-bahu look
- leera describes the Balaji saas-bahu design patterns
- Megan describes the sleeping arrangements on the show and links to another funny scene
- How come no one ages on these shows? wonders Joules
- anu g breaks news of a Ekta spoof movie
- Everyone add a K in honor of Ekta says KTeddy
- sneha finds a montage of falling-catching-falling in love
- Over Rated digs into the psychology of saas-bahu success
- KAkD lists the ten most common patterns in saas-bahu today
- Joules adds three more
- Pitu has translation for Bhagwan from TV to Movie
- AkD has more: 1, 2
- m transcribes the video and has another laugh
- Kteddy Kappoorrr has a script for a Himesh saas-bahu serial
- Joules proposes scenes with a falling Himesh caught by a heroine
- The camera swerves are epilepsy-inducing says ~mad munky~