Just when we thought it would be hard to dislodge Abhijit Sawant from the top on Jo Jeeta Wohi Superstar, the man crashed and burned through four performances in a row. In fact, his rendition of Vishal-Shekhar's own Falak Tak (Tashan) so displeased the duo, that they saraasar piled the daat on Abhijit.
But more on that later. First, can I just say how happy I was to finally see Mahalakshmi Iyer come and sing on the show.
And this is why I like JJWS: instead of piling on the big stars who express fake interest in singing just so they can shill their movie, we get to see really good singers.
But wait, JJWS also knows how to have fun. Prior to Mahalakshmi's appearance, guess who showed up? Yup, that same guy Mika who drove his co-contestants on Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa to bouts of apoplectic rage and frustration. And remember how he got kicked off and went on to say it was time for him to give lesser lights some air time? Such a saint!
Mika was almost in a similarly fine mood here. He showed up in a silver jacket, white cap and honking sunglasses. And then he proceeded to warble through Ganpat and executed some tremendously pioneering dance moves - including one that can only be described as the tire-screech. Later he serenaded a dumb founded Mandira Bedi, giving hope to Garfields everywhere.
I noted with amusement that all three judges Vishal, Shekhar and Farah kept a safe distance.
Then in the next episode Mahalakshmi showed up and set the studio ringing with her voice and V-S and Farah warmed up visibly but kept proceedings matter of fact thus squashing any WWHD (What Would Himesh Do) possibilities.
Back to the singing: Abhijit now reminds me of homeboy Irfan Pathan, i.e. he's a rhythm performer. One six and he's bowling rubbish. Not that many fared well at all. And to their credit, the judges let it be known that the singing had started sucking.
What was noteworthy? As a fan, I thought Rahul Vaidya ripped up the stage with a sparkling rendition of Jhoom Baraber Jhoom - he sang for all four singers but wisely clipped either Kay Kay or Sukhwinder's parts out at opportune times. Harshit's attempt at Devdas' Chalak Chalak was brave and entertaining.
Everyone else (including Debojit who scored perfect marks but had me snoring at Hmmm) - aur mehnat karo!
- Sidekick explains the fall of Abhijit and reckons JJWS doesn't deserve special credit for the guests
- maxdavinci found Mika to be a buoy out of water
- Mind Rush was disappointed Mika didn't get the same crap for Ganpat that Himani got for that song
- J would have liked Sunidhi instead of Mahalakshmi
- Mika might make this episode worth watching for meena
- Rahul Vaidya put Pitu to sleep
- anu g is amused by Abhijit and Farah asking Vineet to do Himesh on demand
- anu g links to the secret behind Mandira's hair extensions on the show
- Mandy's hair is mushroom cloud meets Bandra aunty, says Pitu