I subscribe to only half of this theory. On Shahrukh Khan's "Lets pay those bills" venture Paanchvi Paas - based on Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader - the host plays a big part in the show. SRK is very engaging and it comes from the fact that he is lucid and seems to have a genuine funny bone. He handles high brow and low brow comedy with equal fluidity.
But what's this about having smart contestants? I like un-smart contestants because they can entertain like no other. And after watching a few episodes and feeling a little jaded seeing SRK cavort around, my wish was granted a week or so back. Two sisters from a TV soap called Bidaai showed up. Their names were Sadhna and Ragini. Are these their TV names or real names? In fact, I'm not even sure who was who. But all of this is besides the point.
After some The Hills-style giggling, the sisters introduced their family.
"What a cute family they have" the Drift Memsaab remarked.
"Um, that's their TV family, I think" I said
First question comes in. The sisters give the wrong answer. SRK does his best to steer them to the right answer. It works!
In the second question the girls have to identify a green flag with a huge red circle in the middle. "Pakistan" one tries. "Nope" says the other waving her finger in an arc, "Pakistan's flag has a moon in it" Finally with some help from a kid, the sisters get Bangladesh right.
Third question is "How many common nouns begin with B in the sentence: 'In Bombay I saw Billoo with a red balloon in a blue bus'".
The sisters get to work. "Bombay is a common place" says one "so..." Again SRK comes to the rescue by castigating them so they know they're screwing up. By this time, he's already suppressing smiles.
"Which nouns are common" muses one sister. "Thats the complicated part"
Fourth question is "To which country did Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon, belong?"
"Amarika" says one.
"Thats a continent" says SRK "name the country"
"New York?" offers one of the sisters.
SRK now suppresses a huge gaggle seamlessly. "No, that's a city"
Later, the sisters sing a song. Its god awful. SRK pretends to be moved and cries but are those tears of laughter? Suspense ensues.
Finally the sisters get to this question: "Which is the only mammal that can fly like a bird?"
Within a split second the answer comes: "Kungaaru!"
At this point SRK takes a walk to shake off the chuckles. He reaches the edge of the set and does a Kangaroo dance so that he has an excuse to jettison the laughter from his belly. He walks behind the girls and imitates a bat flying with sound effects.
Finally one of the sisters gets it. "Bat!" she exclaims!
Sadly this show ended shortly thereafter. Life is just not fair.
- One hilarious Bidaai episode narrated by m
- What about those promos for the conjoined twins? asks Pitu
- Bee's morning is now better
- First look at the conjoined twins from Anon
- Those sisters should ask for their money back from elementary school suggests Mind Rush
- These soap actresses aren't that good looking either laments J
- Friendly Stranger votes for New York as the best answer
- Bee asks about Ek Se Badhkar Ek\
- Junoon Kuch Kar Dikhlane Ka - the only show worth watching according to m
- The soaps of Teddy's parents' lives
- Maya finds the YouTube link to this show
- leera has this hilarious update on the Coco-Kaju sisters
- Cinderella can't understand the mystique of soaps
- Over Rated has the right questions for Ms. Pre-Fair and Ms. Post-Fair & Lovely
- Teddy writes a soap