But between SRGMP last year and now what have we seen? Tired shows with familiar contestants. Jaded, uninventive finales. Unconvincing jhagdas. Is this what the world of TV is coming to?
Fortunately I'm enough of an achha insaan to part with some high concepts for TV shows I've been working on lately. Note: I've used popular songs as show names to provide instant brand recognition. Pretty clever, haa?
Show: I am a Disco Dancer
The Pitch: Contestants dress and sing like Bappi and get graded by how well they can fool Bappi's son Bappa. Final three have to dress, sing and cook something that Bappi would like. The best part of this show is that anyone can participate and try to look or sing like Bappi, regardless of gender or age.
Judges: Abhijit, Bappa Lahiri
Show: Dum Maaro Dum
The Pitch: A cash-in on the new fitness craze in India, singers sing while exercising. The best songercise gets the highest points. A calorie counter is employed and combined with the judges scores.
Judges: Adnan Sami, Himesh Reshammiya
Show: Geet gaata chal
The Pitch: Dum Maaro Dum but for seniors
Judges: Vyjantimala Bali, Dev Anand
Show: Roop tera mastaana
The Pitch: An entire team (lyricist-composer-singer) gets together each week and composes something in praise of Himesh Reshammiya. The one who does the best job gets the highest points. Final three get to perform with the man himself.Winner gets to spend a day in the House of Reshammiya. Loser gets to spend two days.
Judges: Ismail Darbar, Hansika Motwani
Show: Mummy ko nah hai pataa
The Pitch: Party Central for girls! Each week contestants do something outrageous that would kill their parents if they found out and then air it on TV. Parents are invited and their reactions are aired during and right after the "performance".
Judges: Malaika Arora, Sonam, Upen Patel, Babita
Show: Laila mai Laila
The Pitch: Bollywood starlets perform based on a theme each week. Suggested artists: Udita Goswami, Kim Sharma, Amrita Arora, Shamita Shetty, Celina Jaitley and Tanushree Dutta (pretty much any woman from this awesome video). Suggested themes: suhaag raat ki laila, sadaa suhaagan laila, Bappi nite laila, Barish mein laila, Ranjit ki laila.
Judges: Feroz Khan, Bindu, Shakti Kapoor
Show: Mehngai maar gai
The Pitch: A-list politicians are given Rs 500 to take their family out for the evening and have a good time. Strolls in parks or Chowpatty are not permitted. Each week viewers get to watch one contestant discover the real India.
Judges: Shatrughan Sinha, Jaya Bachchan
Show: Tashan Mein
The Pitch: Karan Johar and Manish Malhotra get together each week and pick a tashan-challenged celebrity to adopt and beautify. The season will open with Sameera Reddy and the finale will feature Parmeshwar Godrej.
Judges: Gauri Khan, Tusshar Kapoor
- j is reminded of a game
- meena votes for Mehngai Maar Gai with Amar Singh
- Pitu votes for the Bappi show
- As does Bella
- Reality TV needs Himanshu realizes girlie girl
- Bitterlemons votes for Mehgai and Tashan Mein
- Mehngai Maar Gai reminds Kanan of a scene from Mr. India
- girlie girl doesn't think much of McCain's lack of Internet savvy
- This Internet issues strengthens McCain's old fogey impression says Pitu
- j has a point about youth, age, inexperience and ability
- Chicago + desis = Obama says girle girl
- meena links to a McCain article
- McCain doesn't do many campus' notes girlie girl
- Pitu reveals her tea brand
- This Internet thing is blown up because of McCain's age thinks j
- Kanan reveals her tea of choice
- The right way to make tea, by girlie girl
- Mummy ko nahi hai pata evokes mixed reactions in Pappu
- svr votes for Dum Maaro Dum
- j rolls her eyes at most Indian restaurants in the US
- And how about that snooze-worthy sitar music, says meena
- Never Mind!!'s tea choices
- Two brothers, one in a fountain, Anon narrates an incident
- girlie girl has another jaanwar bachcha incident to narrate