But that doesn't mean I don't hold others to a much higher standard than mine. And although I'm agreeable about a wide swath of dress choices, there are some that are universally bad ideas - kind of like making Mimoh dance.
Make these choices and risk going the way of the mullet, i.e. family album showings will become an annual embarrassment worth skipping Thanksgiving for.
The Bath Robe
A while back long belted cardigans were all the rage and I still see women who can't seem to get rid of them. Like bad rupee notes, they end up near you every now and then. The only piece of clothing you can wear that covers your hips and has a belt (with matching fabric I might add) should be a bath robe, not a sweater. And the only appropriate thing to say while wearing one should be "Hot tub?" not "Bartender, another mango martini!"
The Branded Butt
Besides being a remarkably bad idea, putting words on the back of pants so that they frame people's butt is dangerous. Why? Because out of morbid fascination, I'm compelled to read them. And reading a word that is being split up and down continuously is hard. Now imagine someone jogging and me driving. Bad situation. And for god's sake, doesn't the irony of putting the name of a State on a badonkadonk strike anyone like lightening?
The Quarter Length Shirt
I've never gotten the idea behind a short shrug or a bolero and I suspect in a few years the trendistas will be scratching their heads over this as well. Why pay full price for a shirt that does less than half its job? Do you see anyone wearing only one pant leg? No, because its plain silly and impractical. Unless you are Mammooty and its your lungi we are talking about, full length is the best length.
The Rolled Up Coat Sleeves
For those of you who continue to do this (and you know who you are), I'd like to point out that its been over a decade and a half since we said goodbye to Miami Vice. Stop watching reruns on TV and believing this stuff is actually happening now.
Thanks to girlie girl, j and H&R for helping me name certain pieces of clothing
- j links to emerging wierdness and mentions a juicy campus controversy
- girlie girl takes off on crocs
- Bee loves belted long shirts and cardigans and links to a post mid life crisis
- Lin defends jodhpurs and harem pants
- Bitterlemons has a love hate relationship with crocs
- Pitu is not digging fluffy pants
- Never Mind!! wears bathrobe cardigans but can't understand butt branding
- girlie girl brings up a hideous trend started by Madhuri
- How about that male Sherwani? asks j
- svr deconstructs the Madhuri trend
- Kanan has a few more What Never To Wear
- Pitu confesses to wearing sweats everywhere
- Lin has some fashion rants
- Mind Rush offers to analyze everyone's fashion choices
- Teddy describes the desi shuffly look and the essential desiness of the Amreekan desi